"A book's a magic sort of thing,
That makes you sailor, chief, or king'
When I am old and own a shelf,
I think I'll have a book myself."
This short poem was cited as being originally penned by M. C. Davies. I did some research and found the poem is titled, "A Book," by Mary Carolyn Davies, in "A Little Freckled Person." I found a copy of the poem on page 1282 in The Publishers Weekly, Volume 96 by R. R. Bowker Company, Publishers' Board of Trade (US). This book can be found in Google Books.
Also written on this cover, a short saying:
"A casual or a hasty man
Will find all this too vague.
In the capacity of their reader,
Books find their destiny."
- From an Old Chronicle.
Partially underneath newspaper clippings, I pieced together this quote, entitled "Interpretation" by Luis Munoz Marin:
"These are singing things:
The stars,
The sea,
Lovers.....
These are silent things:
The night,
The sands,
Love....."
I found the original on page 67 of The Smart Set: A Magazine of Cleverness, Volume 61, by George Jean Nathan, Henry Louis Mencken, also found in Google Books.
No comments:
Post a Comment